Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I should like to say Confusions, step aside, and kindly Do not disturb while you're at it.
But can I leave the confusions for later?
Can I push them out, or will they be hanging murkily round the door, whistling queasy tunes,
And when I turn around, they'll shove me in a sack and that will be that?
And even if I can make them go, will they be lurking right outside, waiting vindictively
To say I told you so, when I have to come back out the door again?
I should like to say Begone confusions! And then later say I never saw it coming.
Only I'd like to have seen it coming because people who didn't see it coming evidently
Need glasses, and I am far-sighted (I'd like to think).
And I should like to say Stay, Confusions! But that means every time someone says no,
I have to think Yeah, maybe No, and maybe walk out the door when nobody made me,
Just to avoid the ignominy of anyone forcing me out, kicking and screaming, even from
What I've always wanted. The other ignominy is private, noone saying I told you so,
Only the unruly inside voices screaming sometimes, I knew it.
And yet, should I like to say, Confusions, I shall deal with you later, please,
They will say, No thank you, Madam, we are here to collect what is ours only,
Please to cooperate, otherwise you will cooperate and not remember anything of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment